Saturday, February 12, 2011
I Just Can't Get Past Tuesdays ...
Well, just when I think things are going well, Tuesday comes along. Last Tuesday the fever came again ... this time 100.7 and we called the care line at Regions and were instructed to come down. So, at 9:00 at night we get in the car and drive 2 hours to the Emergency Room. At this point I can hardly walk without having to stop and rest and I have no voice at all. They found an infection ... Bladder ... again. The worst part was that my white blood count was at 200 ( should be between 4,000 and 10,000) to be normal. They told me I needed to be on antibiotics to fight the infection. Well, of course, this scared me because it was the antiiotics that caused kidney failure the last time. They said if I went home without antibiotics an infection could rage through my body very quickly because I had nothing to fight it off and it would be hard to control an infection if it got through my body. So, after praying and talking with doctors, the decision was made to go on the antibiotics. I had to stay at the hospital so I could have frequent blood tests to be sure there was no reaction and that the kidneys were functioning properly. Well, not only was my blood count at 200, but my hemoglobin was 6.3, so I needed to have a blood transfusion to bring that up. I was put in a sort of isolation because of how low everything was. I gradually started feeling better and the trip across the room to the bathroom didn't require a four hour nap. On Friday, the blood count went up to 2,800 and my hemoglobin was 8.3 and my kidneys were tolerating the antibiotics very well and they let me go home. Spent the night at Erin's house and we came back to Cloquet on Saturday. Next Tuesday, the 15th, I go in for another round of chemo. They are going to talk about maybe giving me preventive antibiotics so I won't get a fever and an infection every time. I am so tired of feeling like a dish rag and being in the hospital, I hope they can find something that will allow me to at least be home. I sure am glad I only have 2 more of this "hard" chemo before I start the other kind. Can I ask that you all pray I can get past these Terrible Tuesdays? Thank you!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment