Monday, December 27, 2010

What a detour!

Well, I am out of the hospital (after 17 days at Regions).  The medicine they gave me in Cloquet for the urinary tract infection I was allergic to.  It caused me to have kidney failure.  I gained 22 pounds in 2 days when Tom brought me down to Regions.  And I hadn't eaten in 3 weeks.  Now that's quite a diet.  I was put on dialysis 5 times and had a blood transfusion.  I was quite sick.  Every day my blood levels and creatin was checked.  My kidneys were functioning at 5%.  The only good thing about a trauma to the kidney is that with prednisone, they will make a complete comeback.  The creatin levels finally started to come down on their own without dialysis and Christmas Eve they let me come home.  It was a good Christmas present to be with family .... and very emotional.  I have to go in to get some blood tests tomorrow and the following week and then an appointment with the kidney dr.  Then an appointment with oncology to start chemo again.  We have to go with a different regimen for that because the first one was toooooo strong.  Can't really start chemo until the kidneys get squared away though.  I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind thoughts, prayers and support.  I couldn't have gone through this without knowing I have so many wonderful people behind me and a God to carry me through .... because this time ... there was not strength of my own.  Love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Linda! Yes, you have been on quite the journey! I am so glad that you were able to be with your family at Christmas! When we were at church on Christmas Eve, that was one of my prayers!!! From my lips to God's ears!!!

    Now, it's time for getting well and hitting the road to feeling better and restarting chemo!

    22 pounds in 2 days??? Was that from your kidneys not function properly? Goodness, I did that 22 pounds in a much easier fashion...Christmas cookies! (hope that put a smile on your face!)

    Sending lots of old friendship hugs!

    C

    ReplyDelete