Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Okay, Let's Try this Chemo Thing Again

Yesterday, January 17, 2011, I made the trek to Regions Hospital (seemingly my home away from home) and had another MUGA (heart scan).  Everything turned out fine, that is, normal.  Had blood work done and my creatine was in the normal range again (yipee!) and everything else is in the normal range.  Could use a little calcium and potassium, but have pills for that so that should come up into the normal range too.  Today, January 18,  I went to see the oncologist totally NOT expecting to have chemo yet, but he looked at all my "numbers" in my bloodwork and decided I was ready for it.  I am on a different regimen than the first time and hopefully that regimen will be "nice" to me.  One huge thing they are doing differently than the first time is that I will be getting a booster shot of platelets tomorrow.  That way the platelets shouldn't drop so low that it will  leave me vulnerable to infections like the last time.  Please pray that I will get through this session of chemo uneventfully.  No fevers, no dramas.  If this works out, I will go back in two weeks for the next chemo session.  I should be done with all my chemo by mid-May.  That seems like a long time now, but at least I'm getting some behind me.  I'm not sure if they will even count the first session, but I hope so.  Starting in May I will have herceptin (every three weeks for 9 months), but that isn't chemo.  It is a cancer blocker and it doesn't have the effects of chemo.  My hair will start to grow back and it usually doesn't cause nausea.  So ... I'm thanking you for the prayers and support.  I have asked God to hold my hand, carry me or drag me .... whatever it takes .... to get through this chemo!!!!  The journey continues ... thank you for coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment