Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Act Two - Surgery and Recovery

What a hectic day!  Surgery was scheduled for 4:00 p.m. (10/11) and we were to be at the hospital at 1:00.  I got a call and someone's surgery was cancelled and could I come in for 3:00 surgery instead.  Sure!!  So, I took my shower (and scrubbed the incision site for 5 minutes -- do you know how long that is???) and we hustled down to the hospital.  Boom ... everything went into action.  Dye shot in the breast to highlight the lymph nodes in surgery and then the surgeon is talking to me and then the anethesiologist, then the nurse and then and then and then .... I was in surgery at 2:00 p.m.  All of your prayers must have been going up to God because everything went so well.  The surgery was 2 hours 45 minutes.  I guess the surgeon came out grinning because the lymph nodes they took out all came back (so far) with no cancer in them and the tumor came out just as he planned.  The tumor was 9 centimeters!!!  We will have to wait until Thursday to see if the prognosis on the lymph nodes stays cancer-free.  Keep those prayers coming.  I got back to my room about 7:30 p.m. and Tom, Lori, Wendy, Erin, Toby and Diane were all waiting for me.  How nice it was to be surrounded by loved ones.  Terry came down about 9:00 p.m. and stayed about 1/2 hour.  Everyone was gone by 9:30 and then I tried to sleep.  However the nurse call button on my remote had different ideas.  It kept going off every 8 minutes from 10:00 to 1:00.  Finally they had to have someone come and fix it.  I managed to sleep about 2 hours.  Does anyone ever get any rest in hospitals?  This morning, Lori, Wendy, Erin and Jack came up to visit me with balloons and candy.  The girls all made me a beautiful fleece pink ribbon blanket.  That will keep me cozy warm.  Right now I'm waiting for the dr. to come and discharge me!!  I feel great and keep those prayers coming!!  Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! Good to hear things went well and you are feeling good. Thank you for sharing your journey, it and you are very inspirational. I will continue with the good thoughts and prayers!
    Angie Collins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted on your FB page but wanted to tell you how happy I am that everything went so well. I laughed when I read about your "rest" in the hospital! Need anything? I'm a phone call away!!! Sending blessing your way!

    ReplyDelete