Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Quest for the Best (for me)

Yesterday, October 6, 2010, Tom and I met with the surgeon.  I never really understood the importance of "clicking" with people who have your life in their hands before.  We did not click.  She made me feel more guilty about not coming in sooner (I'm already beating myself up for that one) and then her, "are you allergic to mammograms" remark really turned me off.  She was unprepared and was asking US questions about the MRI and PET scans.  Ummmmmm ........ isn't that their job?  Then, she just didn't seem very confident about removing it and she went on and on and on about reconstructive surgery.  Like if I didn't get this reconstructive surgery I wouldn't be me .......... hello????  My left breast does NOT define WHO I am!!!   To make a long story short, I e-mailed my Oncologist and told him I didn't feel comfortable with her as my surgeon.  He called me this a.m. at 7:50 a.m. to tell me that by all means I should see another surgeon.  I have that right.  And dang it, I'm going to use it!  :)  Someone will be calling me tomorrow to set up an appointment with another surgeon.  I'll either be seeing him tomorrow or first thing next week.  Let's hope the "shoe" fits.

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of another situation where being assertive and making sure you "click" is more important. I won't even buy something as simple as a household appliance without clicking with my salesperson. I would recommend searching until you know for sure; and with God's help you will know who that person is wholeheartedly. Stay strong and above all demand the best of the people with whom you are working through this difficult situation. You deserve nothing less than the best! We are praying for you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me FURIOUS! You DO have every right to pick and choose! I had a huge run in with one of the surgeons that my husband had! Surgeons on not known for their bedside manner but being downright rude is far beyond a poor bedside manner!!! Who is your Oncologist? Whoever he or she is has a very sensitive side! Thank goodness!

    And how dare that surgeon keep on and on above reconstructive surgery and dredging up what was! Can't change the past. What part of that doesn't she get??? Your treatment is YOUR choice. Right, left...it doesn't matter! I've said it before and I'll say it again..."You are one of the strongest women I know!" Not having a breast won't change that! If she thinks so...give her my number!!!

    I love you to pieces, Linda! I'll be your wing man any day!!!

    C

    ReplyDelete