Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Long Journey Continues ... and I do mean long

Today was a long, hectic day.  We left Cloquet for a 2:00 appointment at Regions with the protheses woman.  That went great!  I got all fitted and it feels so good.  She was amazing.  She took one look at me and reached into her "bag of goodies" and picked it out the first try!  Then, had an appointment with Physical Therapy.  They were happy to see that I had been doing all my exercises and that my range of motion in my arm was so good.  I will continue to do these and soon that arm will be back to normal.  At 4:00 Tom, me, Michelle, Erin, and Wendy went in to the oncologist.  The news was shocking!!!  I'm scared, but I know I can make it through this with God by my side.  Because of the size of the tumor and because there were 2 cancerous lymph nodes, it was a Stage III invasive cancer.   I will begin chemo on Friday, November 19th.  It will be one day of chemo every other week for two months -- that is Part 1.  Next I will have chemo one day a week for 12 weeks -- that is Part 2.  Finally, I will have chemo one day a week every 3 weeks for nine (yes, that is a nine) months -- that is Part 3.    During Part 3 I will simultaneously (at some point) have 6 1/2 weeks of radiation.  When all 3 parts are finished I will begin taking estrogen-blocking pills daily for 5 years.  So, for the next 14 months I'll be having chemo.  Well, let's get this show on the road!!!  The sooner we tackle this, the sooner we'll be done!  Thursday I have to have blood work done and Friday I go have a port put in so they can hook up to the same vein every time.  The port will be under the skin and left there the whole time.  I'm thinking I'd better start looking at some wigs because I'm going to be bald a long time .... who knows, maybe I'll like my new look and keep my head shaved!  :)  Well, I'll be keeping you informed of my progress and please continue the prayers.  Also, if anyone would like to sit with me during a chemo session, I'm sure Tom would love a break and I'd like your company, so let me know.  Love to all of you!  And NOW let's kick some cancer booty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment