Thursday, November 11, 2010

Plans Change ........

The best laid plans are often changed.   After relooking at my chemo options, researching the drugs involved and discussing them with some special people (Katie), I have decided to go with Alternative 2 of the chemo plan (the results are equal to Alternative 1, just some different drugs are used).  I will be getting chemo every three weeks for a year.  With our travelling such a long distance, this plan will work better for us and our family.  The best thing is that I do have some control of my treatment.  There were no questions asked when I switched plans.  Today I had a MUGA scan.  After they drew some blood, they took it and I think they added something radioactive to it and put it back in my body and then I had to go to a room with a very narrow bed and lay on it.   A huge camera focused close to my chest and it took pictures of my heart to make sure I could withstand the chemo.  I passed the test, so that's good.  Tomorrow I will have a procedure where they will put a port just below my collar bone, under the skin, and run a tube up to the artery in your neck.  All of it is under your skin.  This port will allow them to just insert the needle for chemo there every time without having to poke into your veins every time you have your session.  I will have to be put under for that, so that's not so exciting.  Michelle, Tom and I attended the chemo classes which were very helpful.  Not so scary now that I know what will happen and where it will take place.  We got to tour the chemo "lounge" ... like you could really lounge there?  My chemo will probably take about 4 1/2 hours the first time and will decrease some after that.  The first time the IV is given slowly so they can monitor how you will tolerate it.  When I got home, I got a call from the lady who did the prothesis and she gave me good news that my insurance would cover more bras and another prothesis!  I made a phone call to "It's Still Me" (a place I can get a wig made ... http://www.itsstillme.com/)  and me and my girls will go for a private session and make a day of trying on wigs and seeing what suits me best.  We're going to bring our cameras so we can scrapbook this day.  I will probably lose my hair by the middle of December and I want to be able to look somewhat nice for the holidays.  Along this journey I have met so many people who have made it easier.  Many, many who have travelled this road ahead of me ................. you just never know when God's going to place someone in your life ... even if it's just for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment